History and Economic
The Mudgee district is well-known for its fine wine. Mudgee has developed as a wine producing region and is a popular destination for tourists, who visit the forty wineries operating in the Mudgee district. Other rural produce includes cattle, sheep, wheat, lucerne, olives, fruit, tomatoes, corn, honey and dairy products.
The Ulan coal mines are in the district. During the 19th century, the area was a major goldmining area and the district also produces marble, pottery clays, shale and dolomite. The tourism industry is also a growing industry based largely on the wineries. A laboratory was established in 1987 to test meat for pesticide residues.
The name Mudgee is derived from the Wiradjuri term Moothi meaning "Nest in the Hills" or "mou-gee" meaning "contented". James Blackman was the first European settler to cross the Cudgegong River in 1821 followed quickly by Lieutenant William Lawson who was then commandant of Bathurst. Lawson would later take up 6,000 acres (24 km²) in the area.
George and Henry Cox, sons of William Cox, were the first settlers on the Cudgegong River when they established the Menah run, 3 kilometres north of the current town. The European settlers were soon in conflict with the Wiradjuri over a range of issues including killing of livestock and animals such as kangaroos and possums which were major food sources for the Wiradjuri. Martial law was declared in 1824 leading to a significant reduction in the population of the Wiradjuri.
While the site of Mudgee was surveyed for a village in 1823, Menah was the original settlement having a police station and a lock up by 1833. Robert Hoddle designed the village which was gazetted in 1838. John Blackman built a slab hut, the first dwelling in Mudgee and its general store. By 1841, there were 36 dwellings, three hotels, a hospital, a post office, two stores and an Anglican church. The police station moved from Menah in the mid-1840s while an Anglican school was established in that decade as well.
The yard runs east-west in an elongated form matching the railway line. It terminates at the eastern end with a concrete overbridge. To the west of the station building is the foot warming furnace and coal bins, which have been roofed. The Station is surrounded by a gravelled parking area and nature strip to the north, by the goods yard to the east, which includes the dock, crane, weighbridge and office. Further east is the Engine Running Shed and associated buildings. A range of residences and the Barracks line Inglis Street. To the south of the Station, and across the tracks, is a park-like area leased to the Mudgee Base Hospital.
The Station is a break fronted building of red brick with sandstone foundations and quoins. A massing of roof structure in the centre of the building provides a focus, being decorated with cast iron finials and crestings. A date plaque sits underneath this central moulded pediment. The roof is hipped corrugated iron with ridge vents and is also broken by elaborately moulded chimneys. A band of painted renderwork decorates the exterior at cornice level. Wings at either end of the building form the termination of the cast iron verandah on the Inglis Street face, while facing the tracks an elaborate awning runs the length of the building. Pavilions at either end of the Station were once free standing, but have been linked by later infill.
Internally, a sense of space is created by the use of high ceilings. The walls are plastered and many rooms retain their hardwood floors. Externally the windows and fanlights have arched heads, but internally are finished horizontally with squared architraves. One room appears to have retained its original chimney piece, but all other fixture